Sun Salutations - Surya Namaskar
- Stand feet parallel and hip width apart with palms together in front of your chest.
- Allow your fingertips to rise overhead. Push hips forward and bend backwards.
- Coming forward lower arms to your side, lower chin to chest and very slowly peel forward,
vertebrae by vertebrae and place palms flat on mat either side of your feet.
- Take your right foot back into a straight leg lunge.
- Take your left foot back to meet your right, keeping arms and knees straight.
- Bend your knees and lower your knees, chest, and chin to the floor (8 Point Pose).
- Sweep your chest and chin upward, straightening your arms.
- Taking your weight to your arms lift your tailbone, raising your hips high and keep palms
and feet into the floor: into Downward Facing Dog
- Bending your right leg bring your foot to the top of the mat.
- Bring your left foot forward beside the right foot, keep palms to the floor while raising the tailbone.
- Slowly come up vertebrae by vertebrae with soft knees and a tight core.
Bring palms overhead, lengthen through your torso then push hips forwardand arch back.
- Come back to standing position: Tadasana with palms together in front of your chest.
Remember to breathe!
The rule of thumb concerning breathing in yoga is to breathe in on the backward bends and breathe out on the forward bends.
Also be sure to check with your doctor before beginning any exercise practice, especially if you have any special health concerns.